in the kitchen

in the kitchen

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Hummus w/ Lemon and Carrot

Hummus with Lemon and Carrot
1 can garbanzo beans (15 oz)
3 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
1 lemon
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seed oil
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons finely grated carrots

Drain garbanzo beans, reserving the liquid. Place beans in a food processor with tahini. Zest lemon with a micro planer and then cut in half and juice. Add zest and juice to beans along with remaining ingredients. (You can reserve a bit of lemon zest and grated carrot for garnishing.) Process until very smooth. Pour in some of the reserved liquid as needed to get desired consistency. Hummus is typically a bit runny but can be made stiffer for spreading (it will stiffen up after being chilled). Serve with pita bread, toasted artisan bread, corn chips or cut veggies. Refrigerate tightly covered.  

Hints: Garbanzo beans are also called ceci beans or chick peas. I always have them on hand for white chili, salads and hummus. Tahini is available in most grocery stores and can be eaten on pita bread as is. Toasted sesame oil is very strong flavored so be careful not to add too much. It also is readily available.

I first tried my hand at making hummus to save money.  The store bought kind can be expensive. But now I make it because I can control the flavors and get just what I like. I hope you experiment and come up with your favorite flavor. Please share with me if you do.

2 comments:

  1. Does that mean there's hummus at home? I'm making the drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love hummus! I will have to try this recipe...mine doesn't have tahini or carrots. Sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete