in the kitchen

in the kitchen

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Real Waffles

Wonderful times with my grandchildren these past 5 weeks. One breakfast that was a hit with the Austrian Contingency: Waffles. This is my adaptation of the buttermilk waffles I grew up having. Thanks Mom!
Bamma's Waffles
1 2/3 cup milk
4 tablespoons buttermilk powder
3 eggs
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 tablespoons cooking oil (canola or safflower)
Heat a seasoned waffle iron to medium hot. In a mixing bowl, whisk milk and buttermilk powder until combined. Add eggs and whisk again. Add flours and salt and soda to bowl and whisk until smooth. Whisk in oil. Using the proper amount of batter for your appliance size, cook until golden and serve warm with butter, syrup, jam, jelly, compote, chutney (or fried chicken if you're living in the South.) Makes about six 8" round waffles.

Hints: These are not really dessert waffles--they are made without any sugar. I am working on a recipe for the Belgium style dessert waffles with sugar pearls and will share as soon as possible. I seldom have fresh buttermilk on hand but always have a carton of powdered buttermilk in the fridge. It is sold in most grocery stores near the condensed milk, usually on the baking aisle. I have two electric waffle irons and when there is a crowd, I use both to speed things up. One is Belgian style with large, deep squares and one is American with smaller, shallow squares. They both work fine for this recipe. Mine are seasoned well enough that I don't need to add any butter or oil to prevent sticking. You may need to add some or season your iron with some hot fat first.

I love that they call me "Bamma" when they are just learning to talk. Children are such a blessing and then grandchildren make your cup overflow. Lasting joy is found in family! Brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews, aunts and uncles, cousins--Love you all!


1 comment: