in the kitchen

in the kitchen

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Three Great Ingredients

Chocolate Ginger Balsamic Glaze
1 cup Balsamic vinegar
1 inch piece of ginger root, cut into 1/8 inch slices
2 to 3 tablespoons honey (depending on how sweet you want it)
2 ounces very dark chocolate
1/16 teaspoon salt
Pour vinegar and ginger into a skillet and bring to a simmer. Simmer 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in honey and remove from heat. Remove ginger pieces and discard. Add chocolate and stir until smooth. Serve warm with grilled fruit, ice cream, Greek yogurt, even pork tender loin medallions or chicken breasts.

Hints: This sauce is super easy and quick. Be sure to remove from heat before adding the chocolate. I use 62% chocolate chunks. This is a good way to use less expensive balsamic vinegar. The reducing vinegar may produce a rather strong smell in your kitchen. Use 2 tablespoons honey then taste to see if you need more. I brush a bit of coconut oil on my pineapple slices and make them about 3/4 inch thick. Grill them over a medium or low flame for 3 to 4 minutes per side.

The inspiration for this sauce was a similar one I had when I visited my daughter Amy in Austria. You kind of have to trust me on this one. It is acidic but has enough depth with the chocolate to round the edginess. The ginger adds a complexity that fills out the flavor profile. I really think it may become one of your favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment