in the kitchen

in the kitchen

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Another Frozen Treat

Ok. One last recipe this year using my ice cream maker. A tart, bright pink one. Then I think I'll be able to move on to cobblers and pies etc.

Cherry Cranberry Frozen Yogurt
1 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
6 ounces frozen cranberry juice cocktail concentrate, thawed
1 1/2 cups fresh sweet, dark cherries, pitted
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root 
1 clementine, zest and juice
1/2 cup simple syrup
pinch of salt
Mix Greek yogurt and cranberry juice concentrate. Chop cherries in a food processor or blender until quite fine. Add to yogurt along with ginger, clementine zest and juice, simple syrup and salt. Chill and then freeze in an ice cream freezer according to the manufacturers directions. Cure in freezer.

Hints: I used my counter top ice cream maker and this recipe could be doubled or tripled for an outdoor model. I leave some texture in the cherries but you can process them until smooth if you like. Half an orange would be fine in place of the clementine. I think lime may be pretty tasty, too. Use more ginger if you like. A simple syrup is merely equal amounts of water and white sugar boiled until the sugar is fully dissolved. This would be an excellent recipe to use ginger simple syrup. You can also use a white corn syrup.

I get on these kicks and really go to town on one type of recipe. Soph asked me to get on a home made bagel kick again. I guess we'll see what floats my boat this Autumn. Hopefully it will float yours too.


1 comment: