in the kitchen

in the kitchen

Friday, January 25, 2013

Sachertorte

Today I have a guest blogger--my daughter Amy. She lives in Austria and is sharing a recipe that is one of her husband Claus' favorites. It is extremely wonderful! You will love it if you try it. Thanks a ton Amy for sharing-
Sachertorte
1 ½ cup Butter (softened)
1 cup Sugar
1 ¼ cup Flour (all pourpose)
2/3 cup Bakers chocolate (melted)
1 Tbsp Cocoa
7 eggs (separated)
2 Tbsp Baking powder
2 Tbsp Vanilla sugar (or 2 tablespoons sugar mixed with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract)
Apricot jam, about 1/2 cup
Mix softened butter together with sugar, vanilla sugar and egg yolks.  Mix until very creamy.  Add Cocoa and melted chocolate.  Mix baking powder together with the flour and add to butter, egg yolk mixture.  Beat egg whites to stiff peaks then add to other mixture.  Bake in a greased and floured spring form pan.  Tip:  Do not grease and flour all the way up the sides, only half way.  This allows the torte to rise and it will not stick, trust me!
Bake at 350° F for about 45 minutes
Spread apricot jam over the torte while still warm, then allow to cool completely.
Glaze:
Bakers chocolate
Milk
Melt bakers chocolate and add a little bit of milk to allow the chocolate to flow better.  Pour glaze over torte and allow to completely cool.
I love visiting Austria. Lovely surroundings, amazing food and wonderful people. It is a very special country and dear to my heart. Amy is an amazing cook, so is Claus (here is one of his recipes). I'm sure that my grandchildren will be as well one day. They have already started--tomorrow I will post a recipe from my granddaughter who is only 8!



-->

No comments:

Post a Comment