in the kitchen

in the kitchen

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Jicama Salad

Refreshing! That is what this salad is and that is just what we need. Crispy, cool and slightly sweet, jicama is a natural for salads. It plays the starring role here along side juicy pineapple, accented with silky avocado and tangy arugula. The finish is a citrus dressing that packs a bit of bite. The heat is wacky this year and I am spending time outside more than usual. Thus the birth of this salad (with others coming soon).
Jicama Salad
4 to 5 cups jicama, cut into a large julienne
1 cup diced fresh pineapple
1 cup diced avocado
1 cup baby arugula
Dressing:
1 lime, zest and juice
1 clementine, zest and juice
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
1/3 cup canola oil
Peel the jicama and cut into long strips (I used my mandolin but you can do this by hand or with a food processor). Mix the jicama, pineapple, avocado and arugula together in a bowl. Whisk dressing ingredients together and pour over salad. Toss to coat and serve. (If you are not going to serve right away, keep the arugula out and mix it in just before serving.)

Hints: The proportions of the ingredients may be varied if you like. It was my intention that the jicama be the main flavor with the pineapple complimenting. Of course the ideal result is achieved if the pineapple and avocado are perfectly ripe.

I found a beautiful jicama at the grocery store. I had forgotten how good they can be. Tyler was teasing me and telling me that in the area of Mexico where he served a Morman mission, they were called "jimica" pronounced "he-MI-ka". I fell for it for a while. 


No comments:

Post a Comment