in the kitchen

in the kitchen

Monday, July 14, 2014

Salmon, Planked

This is fun! Neal gave me some planks for Mother's Day and I finally got around to using one. Thanks Neal...I'll be using the rest soon.
Planked Salmon
Cedar plank (see Hints)
4 skinless salmon fillets, (about 1 pound)
1 medium lemon
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Soak plank in water (weigh it down with a heavy pan) for at least 20 minutes. Turn on outdoor grill to high, or prepare charcoal briquettes. Rinse salmon and pat dry; set aside. Cut lemon in half, zest one half and mix the zest with the ginger, salt, pepper and parsley. Place salmon on plank and spread lemon parsley rub on top. Slice the other half of the lemon and top each fillet with 1 or 2 slices. Grill planked salmon, with lid closed, for 6 to 12 minutes, depending on thickness of fillets. Fish is done as soon as it is opaque and flakes easily.
Hints: Planking is a great way to grill fish because you don't have to turn it, which can be hard to do on a barbeque grill. The plank needs to be untreated wood. (Board from a lumber yard may be treated with chemicals that repel insects and can be dangerous to humans.) They can be found in packages in cookware shops or some large grocery stores. The package Neal gave me came with different types of wood, Cedar, Alder and Applewood. The soaked wood gives off smoke when heated that flavors the food cooked on it. Delicious! I like to use wild caught salmon, just because of the sustainability--I can't really tell any difference in taste but maybe you can. You could also use other types of fish like trout or halibut.
I have this aversion to "sweet" salmon. Often a menu will feature salmon with a honey glaze or brown sugar spice rub and I never order it even though salmon is one of my favorites. That's weird for me, isn't it? I like coconut shrimp and lichee scallops, I dip calamari in sweet and sour sauce, but somehow sweet salmon makes me cringe. So I guess my claim that I like all foods has a qualifier--I like all foods but not all the ways they are prepared. How do you feel about sweet fish?




1 comment:

  1. Yup, another great blog! I have been thinking about getting some of these planks for Claus to try. I hear they are great for meat and poultry as well.... As for sweet fish, not my fave either!

    ReplyDelete